‘It was just your average Saturday and a routine eye test, but I didn’t expect it to be a day that would save my sight,’ says student midwife Sian King, age 25, from Mold.
Sian had been experiencing some mild eye strain, something she believed was due to working on a computer every day, so booked a eye health check-up. Immediately after her appointment with optometrist director Keith Martin, Sian was referred as an emergency to Abergele Eye Hospital.
Sian explains: ‘I don’t wear glasses, but when I got a letter through from Specsavers about booking an appointment, I decided to do it because I had been experiencing some discomfort.
Without Specsavers, I was a ticking time bomb
‘During the test, they showed me pictures of my eyes compared to the ones taken at my last test two years ago, and I was shocked when Keith explained my optic discs had swollen considerably.
‘Of course, I was extremely scared and feared the worst. Keith and the team were really calming and kind throughout the process and quickly got me referred to Abergele Eye Hospital.’
Sian’s family took her to the hospital where she underwent further tests and was eventually diagnosed with raised pressure inside her skull, which in turn can be caused by a possible brain tumour.
Sian was sent for a CT scan and while it revealed no signs of a brain tumour, it did show a lot of excess fluid on her brain.
Sian says: ‘If it hadn’t had been picked up, I would have continued walking around as a ticking time bomb. The doctors told me I could have suffered from a stroke, a brain aneurism, or gone blind had I not been treated so quickly.’
Sian had a lumbar puncture to remove the fluid from her brain and is now recovering following a successful procedure.
She adds: ‘I can’t thank the team at Specsavers in Mold enough; they were all so lovely and approachable through what was a terrifying experience.
‘People think you should only go and get your eyes tested if you wear glasses, but your eyes are the window to your brain and there’s so much that could be going on behind there.
‘I wanted to share my story to encourage others to get their eyes tested regularly and raise awareness of the importance of eye health. My symptoms weren’t huge and I could easily have ignored them and put them down to everyday strain, I’m just so grateful that I didn’t.’
Keith Martin, optometrist director at Mold Specsavers, says: ‘It’s always rewarding to hear that the work our team has done has helped to save customers, such as Sian, from such serious health complications. Although situations like this are thankfully rare, we always endeavour to make people feel as calm and supported as possible through what can be incredibly troubling times.
Share, Print or Favourite